Thursday, November 15, 2012

Improvements :)

Right now, I feel no different in my ability to understand, speak, or write French. But then I look back to when I arrived in this beautiful country two and a half months ago and I realize just how much I have improved. Upon my arrival in France I could barely hold on a simple conversation such as "Hi, How are you" because everyone seemed to be speaking a mile a minute. I could write in French but it was VERY garbled, often to the point of being incomprehensible. I walked around with my pocket dictionary and my little European translator machine thingamabob. I didn't talk to anyone and no one talked to me. I didn't understand how to greet the different people; should I shake hands with the guys and do the "kiss-kiss" thing with the girls? Or should I just wave and say hi? I still don't know exactly how to greet people in every scenario but I no longer look like a blundering idiot/ tourist. 
Now, looking back, I realize that I have come a long way. I understand all of my classes and it is often like they are in English. I have fun conversations with my friends, I can make jokes and although I don't always understand right away, I can understand their jokes too. When I write in French, my overall grammar is pretty darn awesome but I still miss the small things such as when to use “cette” versus “ces” or “cet”, the French have based the majority of their grammar on the way phrases sound which means that some of their rules have no explanation and I just have to guess. My professor of Francais (Language Arts) told me today that I have improved a lot in my writing. She said that my first essay was nearly incomprehensible and that the one she returned to me today was very, very good comparatively. My teachers don’t give me a grade (no note) for my written essays because I often miss what they were looking for… It is hard to find the deeper meaning of a scene in a play I barely understand.
My best class is English, for obvious reasons. My 2nd best class (oddly enough) is German. German is the one class where my teacher has never given me a “no note” (although I have received one 0/10.) I really like my school but I still prefer SLCSE. The classes are all lectures and the lack of projects and group work, make for very boring classes. All of my teachers (except for my history teacher) are very nice and often ask me how I am doing.
I am still so glad I am on this adventure; I love my city and all the people in it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment